Home         About         Contact Me         My Favorite Posts         Archives         Links         Store        

2009-06-01

The Performance Review: It's a REAL Job! Series #10

Performance Review
Image by Paul Worthington

If you've ever been employed in the "real world" you are probably familiar with the performance review process. That dreaded time of year (in my experience it was annual) when you sit down with your boss and get evaluated. Ugh. How completely unpleasant!

Well, I'm here to say that it seems to me that the homemaker could benefit from a periodic performance review. But, unlike other performance reviews, this doesn't have to be an unpleasant experience!

Evaluation is always valuable--and how much more for the woman whose job is so connected to eternity?

You can set goals all day long. You can have a clear job description. You can plan and organize till the cows come home. But if you don't use the tool of evaluation, how will you know if you are ever truly accomplishing what you set out to do in the first place?

Evaluation. It's a good thing.

Here are my ideas for my next performance review:

1. Do one every 6 months.
Yearly seems too infrequently to me when eternity is at stake. Really. I don't say that flippantly. I truly believe that our role, especially as mothers, is of great eternal significance.

2. Have a clear job description already in place.
If you haven't written a clear job description already, there isn't really anything concrete to evaluate, now is there? So, if you haven't done this yet, sit down and write one for yourself.

3. Make your husband part of the performance review.
OK, so this part might be a little bit painful. Or it might be so deeply encouraging, you want to do a performance review again next week! But the two of you are a team, and in my opinion, Scripture makes it pretty clear that he's the head of your home. So, his input should be very valuable to us as homemakers.

4. Using your job description as a your guide, ask yourself and your husband the following questions:
  • What am I doing well? What are my strengths? Is there a way my strengths could be utilized even better?
  • What area(s) might need more attention? What are my weaknesses? How can these be strengthened?
  • Is my job description truly adequate to give me direction, or does it need tweaking?
  • Is there a tool I could use that would help me significantly in my role?
  • Is there a new area I have the time, energy and freedom to branch into learning?
  • What is one habit that, if developed, would help me most in my role right now?
5. Finally, review appropriate compensation.
What's that? Oh. You don't get paid? So sorry. Wait. Come to think of it, neither do I. At least not in earthly treasure. But I hope I'm building precious metals and stones in eternity. However, I bet you could talk your husband into a special treat--a back rub, some dark chocolate, or dinner for the two of you. Celebrate! Even if your performance review turns up some areas that need attention, that's a good thing. You're being intentional about your role, and that's really something!

I'm pretty sure I have the need of a performance review coming up. Anyone else want to take the plunge with me?

6 comments:

steadymom said...

Great thoughts - this is my philosophy as well.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten my job description down yet. Too busy doing things I shouldn't be worrying about. :-/
Perhaps I should start there with my husband and see what he thinks. I don't know...he's the type of hubby who wants me to be able to care of my own "stuff". He hardly complains, but I can "read" him and see what areas I could improve. Most of the time he won't just come out and tell me.

Anna said...

I never thought of doing a job evaluation before. I think it's a good idea, but honestly don't know if I'm that brave.

Erin said...

Great idea!

Kirsty said...

This is great, thank you as always for your perspective.

Talya said...

Just curious - do husbands get performance reviews as well?

Post a Comment